QBA Honey Court at the Brisbane Ekka 10-19 August 2018
A successful educational event with this year’s favourites of free honey tasting, live demonstrations of opening a bee hive and extracting honey, free candle making for children, beekeepers to chat to and ask questions, as well as the sale of honey, bee products and Honey Mead.
The Apiculture Competition was very well supported and showcased the best of the best in Qld. Results can be viewed on the RNA website.
Thank you to all who worked at the Honey Court, entered into the Apiculture Competition and visited the Honey Court. We look forward to 2019!
3rd Australian Bee Congress 27 – 30 June 2018
held at RACV Royal Pines, Gold Coast, Queensland
Theme: Pollination and Beekeeping for the Future
The Congress was for all who work in commercial beekeeping, operate a small number of hives, rely on honey bees for crop pollination, work in partnership with growers and beekeepers or wished to enjoy some of the social activities offered.
Over 900 delegates attended, representing 17 overseas countries and every Australian State and Territory, including Norfolk Island.
- Speakers Many Australian and International speakers presented interesting and informative sessions on research and topics that particularly explored and related to the Congress theme as well as valuable sessions on important practical aspects of beekeeping, diseases, running an Amateur Beekeeping Club, to name a few, and a few sessions on native stingless bees. Many of the speaker’s presentations are available for viewing here
- Trade Show catered for every sized beekeeping operation with over 75 Trade Displays from around Australia and the world and included displays ranging from small and basic beekeeping equipment through to large equipment and trucks.
- Honey Show Over 200 entries were received in this prestigious Honey Show which included categories for honey, pollen, beeswax and Mead.
- Social Events All social events were well attended to the enjoyment of all who participated. These included two pre-Congress tours, an evening to meet and mingle with delegates and Speakers, a High Tea, a Commercial Beekeepers Breakfast, Connecting Young Beekeepers Session, Trade Display evening, a Congress Gala Dinner and a night at the Gold Coast’s famous Outback Spectacular.
QBA Annual Conference (114th) Wednesday 27 June 2018
This year was a half-day, Members only AGM and held at the Royal Pines Resort, Gold Coast immediately preceding the 3rd Australian Bee Congress held at the same location.
BEE Open Day – Saturday 28 October 2017 – held at MARY VALLY COLLEGE, Imbil – (Gympie region approximately 160kms north of Brisbane)
This event was for all interested in honeybees and / or native bees.
The day’s programme can be found here – go to page 2.
Brisbane Ekka – Friday 11th to Sunday 20th August
This year’s Honey Court included new educational activities including honey extracting, frame making, candle making and power point presentations. There was also the ever popular live bee demonstrations, free honey tasting, the selling of honey and bee products and Honey Mead and a magnificent display of entries in the Apiculture Competition.
Hope you were able to visit, spend some time at the Honey Court, tasting, looking, chatting with a beekeeper and learning something new.
CONFERENCE GUEST SPEAKERS – Two International Speakers attended
1. Professor Stephen Martin, Chair in Animal Ecology at University in Salford, Manchester, England who spoke on:.
- The varroa-viral-honeybee associations and world wide death of honeybees
- Understanding the chemical recognition systems in honeybees and how pests circumvent them
2. Dr Mark Goodwin, Principal Honeybee Scientist at Plant and Food Research, New Zealand who spoke on:
- Protecting Australia from varroa
- Towards eradicating American Foulbrood Disease (AFB)
View the full Conference Agenda here
at the Peak Crossing State School, Peak Crossing
Further information on the Ipswich and West Moreton Beekeepers Association
Sunday 25th September at Mudgeeraba Showgrounds
For all Beekeepers from beginners to experienced. Event website
A day that celebrated Bees in the Community – Honey Bees, Native Bees and Native Solitary Bees Event Flyer (www.mrccc.org.au/valley-bees)
The “Ekka” 12 – 21August 2016. The Honey Court and Apiculture Competition
Qld Beekeepers Association & AHBIC Annual Conference in Townsville – 13 to 14 July 2016 and Profiles of Conference Guest Speakers
May was National Honey Month. Read about Queensland’s activities here.
Valley Bees Community Open Day
2015 Qld Beekeepers Annual Conference – Cleveland 11-12 June Read more
2015 Honey Month – May 2015 Read more
2014 Honey Court at the Brisbane Ekka 8-16 August Read more
2014 Qld Beekeepers Association Annual Conference – Toowoomba 12-13 June Read more
2014 HONEY MONTH – May 2014 Read more
2014 RURAL DISCOVERY DAY 22 May Read More
2014 MOO BAA MUNCH 26-30 March Read More
2013 Honey Court at the Brisbane Ekka Read More
2013 Qld Beekeepers Association Annual Conference 13-14 June Read More
2013 RURAL DUSCOVERY DAY 22nd May Read more
2013 HONEY WEEK & MOO BAA MUNCH 8-12 May Read more
2012 Honey Court at the Brisbane Ekka Read More